Thank you to the over 200 attendees who helped to make the 2012
Academic Literacy Summit a success!
Visit the Resources page for resources
from and about the 2012 Summit.
Over 200 regional educators gathered for a day of workshops and
discussion exploring what’s at the core of Academic Literacy,
with special attention given to California’s newly adopted
Common Core Standards.
Visit the Keynote Speakers page to learn
more about Jose Rivas and Luciana de Oliveira, the featured
speakers at the 2012 Summit.
Each year our annual Summit aims to:
• Promote expertise in addressing academic literacy needs of all
• Develop literacy strategies for work with culturally and
linguistically diverse students in our northern California
• Tap regional resources for breakout sessions and
• Honor expertise at all educational levels in the region,
• Guide and inspire with keynote addresses and the voices of
educators and students
• Open dialogue between teachers and administrators, researchers
and practitioners, veterans and novices
2012 Academic Literacy Summit highlights will
• Motivating students within an environment of standardized
• Maintaining focus on long-term learning goals
• Tapping students’ out-of-school experiences
• Building bridges across disciplines
• Developing participatory approaches to literacy
• Examining policies and practices that promote academic
• Strengthening connections among grade levels, K-16
• Championing academic literacy at the district, site, and
Kim Holsberry, Area 3 Writing Project Description: This workshop provides specific
ideas for the CCCS of writing to compose informative/explanatory
texts, gathering information to answer a question, and
participate in shared research and writing projects.
Scaffolding will be discussed and modeled throughout the
presentation. Active participation is a key
component. Intended Audience: K-3 Teachers