General information

Funding Sources for Graduate Degree Students

Teaching Assistantships

The School of Education offers teaching assistantships for several courses offered during the academic year. The call for Teaching Assistantships will be announced via email and an electronic application will be provided with the call. Students must be registered as full-time students and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to hold a T.A. appointment. Students may not hold a TA appointment after 10 quarters of enrollment unless they have advanced to candidacy.

Graduate Student Research Assistantships (GSR)

Individual faculty in the School of Education offer GSRs during the year. A GSR provides students the opportunity to gain experience working with faculty on specific research projects. There is no standard deadline for research assistantships since they are driven by faculty grants having variable starting and ending dates. Graduate Student Research assistantships are normally for 25% or 50% time employment on a quarterly basis. GSRs offer a full fee remission and a monthly stipend. To learn about the availability of GSR ships, students should speak with their faculty advisor about their interest in working as an GSR, as well as seek out faculty whose research they find interesting and in which the student has some expertise. Students must be registered as full-time students and have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in order to hold an GSR appointment. 

Teacher Educator Fellowship

Applicants to the Ph.D. program are invited to apply for a competitive fellowship opportunity. This three-year fellowship will support a Ph.D. student whose career goals are to be a teacher educator/scholar and assume a position in a college or university. The selected fellow will receive fee remissions as well support through half-time TA, Graduate Student Researcher, or Associate-In appointments. More information is available.

Workstudy Research Assistantships

To be eligible for workstudy GSR ships, students must have financial need equivalent to the stipend and fees paid by the GSR. The procedure for finding work as a workstudy GSR is the same as for the standard research assistantship.

Student Employment

If a student wishes to supplement resources while studying, the Internship and Career Center can help you find part-time or full-time positions, both on and off campus. If you have received a letter of acceptance but have not yet registered, you may use these services during the quarter or summer prior to enrollment.

UC Davis Fellowships and Graduate Scholarships

Awarded primarily on the basis of scholarship and promise of outstanding academic and professional contribution. If you are a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident you are eligible for most of the awards. The minimum required GPA is 3.5. Students who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or immigrants must file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be awarded any Graduate Studies fellowship. Fellowship applications and more information may be found at the Graduate Studies Web site.

Professors of the Future

Professors for the Future is a year-long competitive fellowship program designed to recognize and develop the leadership skills of outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral scholars who have demonstrated their commitment to professionalism, integrity, and academic service. This unique program sponsored by the Office of Graduate Studies focuses on the future challenges of graduate education, postdoctoral training, and the academy.  Professors for the Future (PFTF) is designed to prepare UC Davis doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars for an increasingly competitive marketplace and a rapidly changing university environment. PFTF Fellows receive a $3,000 stipend. more information may be found at the Graduate Studies Web site.

Chancellor’s Teaching Fellowship

Deadline is in early January each year. This fellowship is offered through the UC Davis Teaching Resources Center. Proposals are invited from graduate student – faculty member pairs for one-quarter collaborative teaching projects involving an undergraduate course that the faculty member is regularly scheduled to teach. The class, preferably one that that the graduate student might be expected to teach as a newly appointed faculty member, must be offered during the following academic year. For more information, visit the Teaching Resources Center Web site.

External Fellowships: Many external fellowships exist to support study at the doctoral level. Visit the Graduate Studies Web site for more information.

Log in