Anthropology of consciousness; Bilingual Education; Child Development; Classroom discourse; Classroom research; Community and rural development; Critical discourse analysis; Cultural studies; Education in Developing Countries; Ethnography and Ethnographic research; Feminist theory; Geographical areas of Hawai’i and Solomon Islands; Indigenous epistemology; Language Acquisition; Language development and socialization; Language socialization theory; Linguistic anthropology; Literacy and Language policy; Organizational structure/effectiveness; Pidgin/creole languages; Social disability studies; Sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics
Ph.D., Anthropology – University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu - 1972
Awards and Honors
- Featured Author, UC Davis Campus Authors Celebration, University of California, Davis. 2004.
- UC Davis Distinguished Graduate Mentoring Award, University of California, Davis. 2003
Current Activities and Service
- Reviewer. Modern Language Journal. 2004-2005.
- Reviewer. Text & Talk Journal. 2004-2005.
- Reviewer. International Journal of Behavioral Development. 2004-2005.
- Reviewer. Soc. of Education Journal. 2004-2005.
- Book & Ms. Reviewer. Anth/Cul Studies, Blackwell. 2004-2005.
- Book & Ms. Reviewer. Ed Socioling, Blackwell. 2004-2005.
- Session Abstract Reviewer. AERA Social Context Sig. 2002-2003.
- Reviewer. American Ethologist Journal. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. Journal of Linguistic Anthropology. 2000-2005.
- Member and Reviewer. Editorial Board of the Discourse Studies Journal. 2000-2005.
- Consulting Editor. McGill Journal of Education. 2000-2005.
- Member and Reviewer. International Editorial Board, Anthropological Forum. 2000-2005.
- Editorial Adviser. Journal of Hawaiian & Pacific Folklore. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. Anthro & Ed Quarterly. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. Ethos Journal. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. Current Anthr Journal. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. Journal of Pacific Studies. 2000-2005.
- Reviewer. TESOL Q. 2000-2005.
- Grant Proposal Reviewer. NSF Linguistics Program. 2000-2004.
- Member. HVH International Writer’s (non profit). 2003-2005
- Member. Advisory Board of iLEAP (non profit). 2002-2005.
- Grant Proposal Reviewer. Spencer Foundation. 2003-2004.
- Co-organizer. American Educational Research Association Meetings. Chicago, IL. 2003.
- Co-organizer. Sociology of Education Meetings. Asilomar, CA. 2003.
- Member Advisory Board. Institute for Transforming Learning Awareness Through Practice (iLEAP). 2002-present.
- Invited Plenary (keynote). 4th Pacific Second Language Research Forum (PacSLRF) Conference. Honolulu, HI. 2001.
- Co-organizer. American Anthropological Association Meetings. San Francisco, CA. 2000.
- Member. International Editorial Board, Anthropological Forum (Australia). 1999-present.
- Member. Editorial Board, Discourse Studies. 1997-present.
- Elected Member-at-Large. Executive Committee of the Society for Linguistic Anthropology. 1995-1997.
- Co-organizer. American Educational Resaerch Association Meetings. San Francisco, CA. 1995.
- Editorial Adviser. The Journal of Hawaiian and Pacific Folklore and Folklife Studies. 1991-present.
- Consulting Editor. McGill Journal of Education. 1987-present.