Established in 1981, A3WP is a professional development network for California teachers and administrators that follows the writing project teachers-teaching-teachers model, with all programs and activities based upon the following principles:
- Student writing can be improved by improving the teaching of writing, and the best teacher of other teachers is a successful classroom teacher.
- Programs designed to improve the teaching of writing must involve teachers of all grade levels and should be collaboratively planned by schools and universities.
- Large-scale educational change occurs only over time and can best be accomplished by those who work within the schools.
- What is known about the teaching of writing comes from research and from the successful practices of those who teach writing.
- Because writing is fundamental to critical thinking and learning in all subject areas, all writing project programs should involve teachers from across the disciplines.
- Teachers of writing must also write, for only by writing can teachers fully understand what they are asking of their students.