We are excited to announce the Summer 2021 REMOTE Young Scholars Program!
Check back frequently and follow us on social media as we update program details.
Applications are currently open! Apply HERE!
Interested in attending an Application Workshop?
In collaboration with the Siegel Lab and the Pre-College Rosetta Internship Opportunity (PCR-IO) we’re offering coaching through the process of assembling your application. Join our Winter Application Workshop on Zoom. Click HERE to register!
- Session 1 (Feb 2, 5-6 PM PST): What’s included in a package application, creating a brand, navigating metrics.
- Session 2 (Feb 9, 5-6 PM PST): Letters of Recommendation: who and how to ask. Resume/CV writing 101.
- Session 3 (Feb 23, 5-6 PM PST): Drafting personal statements, essays, & cover letters.
The UC Davis Young Scholars Program is a summer residential research program designed to expose approximately 40 high achieving high school students to the world of original research within the fields of the biological, agricultural, environmental and natural sciences.
Participants in the UC Davis Young Scholars Program will work one-on-one with research faculty and research groups in state of the art laboratories for six weeks. Each student will work on an individual project and prepare a journal quality paper and symposium presentation about their work.
In addition to scientific research, the UC Davis Young Scholars Program strives to introduce participants to the climate and culture of living and learning on a university campus. Staff make every effort to model the experiences that participants will have during their first years of college.
All participants will be enrolled in five (5) units of University Group Study Credit. Assignments for the program include research notebooks, a written article of journal quality describing the research project and its conclusions, presentation of the individual project at a research symposium and presentation of research to students at the home high school. All work in the program is graded and credit will be awarded after home presentations are completed.
Remote Program Schedule (Tentative)
- Technology & Professionalism training and “Getting to Know You” social events with participants prior to the program start date
- Weeks 1 & 2: Mini class in the morning, remote research in the afternoon, plus other activities throughout the week
- Weeks 3-6: Remote research and other activities throughout the week
- July 29 & 30: Virtual Research Symposium!
- Monday PM: Whole group workshop or presentation
- Tuesday AM: “Breakfast Buddies”
- Wednesday PM: Research Group Meeting
- Thursday PM: Science Exposure Event
- Friday PM: Optional Social Activity
Follow YSP on Social Media!
Facebook: UC Davis Young Scholars Program