Final Application and Fellowship/Funding Deadline is on DECEMBER 15th annually
- Completion of Graduate Studies Admissions application
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Statement of Purpose and Personal History
- 3 Three Letters of Recommendation
- Writing Sample
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (last 5 years)
- Satisfactory TOEFL or IELTS score (International applicants only)
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
There are no prerequisites for this program.
Application Information and Tips:
- Application Review: A holistic assessment of an applicant’s readiness for doctoral study is conducted, as any given application component can include cultural bias and may replicate social inequality. To be as competitive as possible, we encourage applicants to consider each piece of their application portfolio carefully.
- Online Application and Instructions are located on the Graduate Studies Website. Applicable application fee is also required.
- University Requirement: Applicants must hold at least a Bachelors degree or equivalent with a B average.
Statements: The Statement of
Purpose should focus on your academic and research goals
and should address the following questions: What about
educational research interests you? What is your intended
research topic? Why are you choosing the PhD program at UC
Davis? What do you plan to do with your degree?
The Personal History should focus on topics you would like us to know about YOU. You might consider the following questions when developing your personal history: What have been your schooling experiences as a student and, if relevant, as a teacher? Was there an event in your life that lead you to the field of Education? Explain any discrepancies in your application package such as low grades or GRE scores.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: Our recommendation is to select individuals who hold a PhD degree; who can attest to your ability to do well in our PhD program; who can verify your scholastic abilities.
- Writing Sample: This should be a research-based paper preferably related to education and your research interest. We recommend a paper that shows your ability to select a topic/question, develop ideas through analysis of existing literature and/or data and formulate a conclusion. The paper should also illustrate your skills as a writer of expository text.
GRE: Please send GRE scores to University
of California, Davis:
Institutional Code: 4834. We do not require a minimum GRE Score; however, we do encourage you to prepare for the test and perform your best. TIP: Mapping backward from the Dec 15th deadline, one may wish to begin preparing for and taking the GRE in July/August, so there is adequate time to revisit the exam expectations and retake the exam if you feel you can achieve a higher score.
TOEFL or IELTS: (International applicants
only) Please send scores to University of California,
Institutional Code: 4834
- Transcripts: UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit https://gradstudies.ucdavis.edu/submit-transcripts
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: Applicants may upload their resume or CV to the online application.