1) CSET Exam
In addition to the required CSET exams in the subject of your desired credential, students wishing to earn a Bilingual Authorization must also take the CSET Mandarin Subtest III and CSET Chinese Subtest V exams. You are encouraged to take the exams before the start of the credential year and must pass it before the Bilingual Authorization can be awarded.
BILINGUAL OBSERVATION: It is recommended that all bilingual applicants have a minimum of 5 hours observing in a bilingual setting. These 5 hours may be part of your 30 hour observation, if in the correct content area to which you are applying, or may need to be in addition if needed.
2) Field Placements
Candidates will participate in a student teaching field placement in content area where Mandarin is used as the language of instruction at least part of the day.
- Education 151
- During the credential program, take 3 units of Education 253 and 1 unit of Education 298 instead of four units of Education 206B during spring.
4) University Supervision and Support
Bilingual supervisors will visit regularly. In addition to all other areas of supervision, an additional focus for Bilingual Authorization candidates will be on language use with attention to the following:
- Language/Mandarin: Academic language in the content areas as well as instructional delivery such as use of commands, appropriate syntax, appropriate vocabulary
- Informal language to communicate and understand students’ use of colloquial Mandarin, cultural terms, slang, and non verbal communication
- Culture: understanding the community
- Home/School communication: letters to the parents, parental involvement, homework, expectations