Bilingual Authorization

Bilingual Authorization

Options for Spanish or Mandarin


Can you read, write, and speak Spanish or Mandarin? Bilingual education is growing in California’s elementary, middle, and high schools, and we need more bilingual teachers. Help fill this need by earning your bilingual authorization so you can teach in a bilingual school or dual language immersion program. Learn more about dual language immersion from this short video.

The elementary and secondary Bilingual Authorization authorizes elementary and secondary teachers to provide to English learners (and Spanish/Mandarin learners in designated programs): 1) Content instruction delivered in the students’ primary language (Spanish/Mandarin); 2) Instruction for primary language development (Spanish/Mandarin); 3) Specially designed academic instruction in English in content areas for English learners; and 4) Instruction for English language development for English learners. Teachers who earn the Bilingual Authorization in addition to the regular credential are in great demand in the public schools.

Candidates will follow the course requirements for the content area they have selected (Multiple subject, English, math, science, or social science) to earn their teaching credential concurrently with their Bilingual Authorization (see handbook below).  In addition to their content specific courses, they will take additional courses and complete additional requirements as listed on the following links:

Log in