About Credential/MA Program

About the Program


Credential/MA Faculty

The faculty shown below have the primary responsibility of teaching and supervising in our Credential program.  Additional faculty/adjunct may teach classes or supervise students.


Courses You Will Complete

The UC Davis teacher education program utilizes an integrated model where student teaching and university coursework occur simultaneously. Through coursework, credential candidates expand their knowledge base in their content area, acquire dynamic teaching methods, and become well versed in educational theories which you will practice during your student teaching. You can find more information on student teaching here.


Student Teaching Overview

Although course offerings may change from year to year the links below will give you an overview of how you will be spending your time during the credential year.


FAQs: Credential/MA Program

If your question is not addressed below please contact us! Please make sure to always check the most current information regarding admission deadlines and prerequisites. You can call the Student Services office at (530) 752-5887 or email us at eduadvising@ucdavis.edu.

Credential/MA Program Info

Structure of the UC Davis Credential Program

Where are student teachers placed?

Normally, student teaching is done in the communities within a 45 minute drive from the UC campus.  Districts we commonly place students in are: Davis, Dixon, Elk Grove, Fairfield-Suisun, Folsom-Codova, Language Academy of Sacramento, Natomas, Natomas Charter, Robla, Sacramento City, San Juan, Travis, Twin Rivers, Vacaville, Washington, Winters, and Woodland. 

Does UC Davis have a part-time program, night program, or summer program?

No, our credential program is definitely full-day and full-time over the course of the credential portion of the program. The Masters portion of our Credential/MA program offers more flexibility with class times scheduled around a teacher’s typical work schedule.

What does the credential year look like?

You will be involved in a very intense and extensive experience of coursework and field work. The amount of work is considerable. If you are to be successful, you will need to prepare yourself to devote all your energy and time to this program.

Will I have time to work during my credential program?

You will spend your mornings in the schools and afternoons on campus taking courses. Your evenings will be filled with homework (your own and your students’) and back-to-school nights, etc.  For most students working outside of their credential program is not feasible.

General information

General questions about earning a CA Teaching Credential

Who needs a teaching credential?

Everyone who teaches grades K – 12 in public schools on a permanent basis is required to hold a California teaching credential.

What kind of major do I need to have in order to become a teacher?

For teaching at the K-6 level, you can have any major as your background for teaching. For teaching at the secondary level in grades 7-12, a major in your area is the best thing.

If your undergraduate major is not in the subject area you wish to teach it is advisable for you to pass the subject matter examinations (CSET) prior to submitting your application for admission.

What if I am interested in earning more than one credential?

It is possible to become authorized to teach more than one subject. You must pass the CSET in the additional subject  you are interested in and take a methodology class as well. Our Credential Analyst will provide guidance to all registered students on how to add various authorizations based on testing or coursework completed. 

Are all credential programs the same?

No, every teaching credential program is different. It is for this reason that we encourage you to explore several programs in order to determine which program best fits your needs.  A very common difference between programs is the timing for you to compete course work and your student teaching.

Is a teaching credential also a Master’s degree?

No, a teacher credential authorizes you to provide instruction in a K-12 public school and is issued under the guidelines of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. A Masters in Education is an academic degree awarded by a College or University.

UC Davis offers a combined Credential/Masters Program that when completed results in both a California teaching credential and a Masters of Arts in Education.




Hear directly from School of Education students and alumni about why they decided to be teachers, what it’s like going through our Teacher Education program and what makes teaching a rewarding career.


Become a Teacher: The UC Davis Difference

Become a Teacher: The UC Davis Difference

Are you thinking of becoming a teacher? The UC Davis School of Education offers a rigorous program in which students earn their credential and are ready to start their teaching career in under a year, and while employed as a teacher return for one or two part-time quarters to complete the concurrent master’s program. Applicants from all undergraduate majors are welcome.


Being a Role Model

Why Alumna Faith Flomo Thinks You Should Become a Teacher

Being a Role Model

School of Education alumna Faith Flomo (‘12, Cred. ‘13, MA ‘14) shares why teaching is so important, and why you should consider becoming a teacher.


Why I Love Teaching

Why I Love Teaching

Why have our faculty, alumni and students decided to become teachers? “If you want to have an impact on the world,” says Lecturer/Supervisor Rebecca Rosa, “then you go into teaching, because there are hard days but the rewards are just unmeasurable.” Hear from UC Davis School of Education alumni—veteran teachers and more recent graduates—about what makes the field so special and why they love teaching.


Resident Teacher Training & Resources

Options for new Resident Teachers

The California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requires that all Teacher Preparation Programs provide new Resident Teachers a minimum of 10 hours of initial orientation to the program curriculum, information on effective supervision approaches such as cognitive coaching, adult learning theory, and current content-specific pedagogy and instructional practices.

Our goal is to make this process as simple as A + B + C = 10 hours completed.

Log in