DEADLINE: June 1st
All Candidates must receive clearance from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) before they can begin their student teaching in the K-12 classrooms. Clearance is granted by the CTC in the form of a Certificate of Clearance or an Emergency 30-day Substitute permit.
If you hold a valid Emergency 30-Day Substitute permit please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions. This permit is an approved clearance for student teaching and must remain valid the entire time you are working on your credential in our program.
If you do not hold an Emergency 30-day Substitute permit, you will need to apply for a Certificate of Clearance. As described below, this is a 2-step process that can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete, so you will want to start early.
Step 1 – Live Scan Fingerprints
- Go to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website (www.ctc.ca.gov) and download and print three copies of the Request for Live Scan Service form (http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/41-LS.pdf). It matters what internet browser you are using!!! FIREFOX does not bring up the proper pre-filled out form. See the PDF below for the most current form. The two top boxes of information on the Live Scan form must print out with the “ORI” number and the correct Agency Address filled out. Please fill out this form with great care! All information written here must match the online application you submit with the CTC.
- Take the Live Scan Forms to an agency providing fingerprinting services. For CA locations, go to: http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php
- Copy to office is CURRENTLY ON HOLD due to COVID-19. Once we return to the office we will ask for your LiveScan forms. REQUIRED: Bring a copy of your processed Live Scan form to the Student Services office. This is our only way of knowing you successfully completed your fingerprinting process. Please do this asap! Once your have your fingerprints taken please proceed to Step #2
Step 2 – Online Application for Certificate of Clearance
- Go to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website (www.ctc.ca.gov) and select the blue button that says “Credentialing Information” *Please note that the CTC website has some issues if you use the browser Safari — try switching to Firefox
- Click “Apply for a New Document”
- First time applicants will need to create a CTC Online Educator Profile. There is a helpful worksheet on how to do this. Read through that then when ready to begin click the blue button labeled ” Educator Login”. This will take you to a page that requires your Social Security Number and Date of Birth — enter both and press “OK”. Please double check your Social Security Number for accuracy!
- If you don’t already have a profile you will need to enter this information a second time to create one
- After editing your profile, hit the “Next” button on the far right side of the purple bar at the bottom
- Under “Web Applications” select “Create New” and choose “Certificate of Clearance/Activity Supervisor Clearance Certificate” under the General Application Category and “Certificate of Clearance” under the Document/Authorization Title menu
- Hit “Next” on the far right side of the purple bar at the bottom
- Complete the rest of the online application by answering the Professional Fitness Questions and pay the application fee ($52.50) using a VISA or MasterCard debit or credit card
- Be sure you select “Certificate of Clearance” and not Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential
- The fee for the Certificate of Clearance is $52.50
Step 3 - Submit additional documentation to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing if you answered “YES” to any of the Personal and Professional Fitness questions
- Our Credential Analyst, Jana Royal, is available to help you work through the process CONFIDENTIALLY and by disclosing limited details. Her email is email@example.com
- For more information about the professional fitness questions, see this page from the CTC: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/educator-discipline/self-reporting.html.