Resident Teacher Handbook
Handbook for resident teachers and student teachers about the UC Davis Agricultural Education Program
Work Experience Specialized in Agriculture
There are two ways to satisfy the agricultural related work
The first way is to complete 2000 hours of documented agricultural experience.
The second way is to have earned your American FFA Degree and complete 1500 hours of documented agricultural experience.
Both must meet the following criteria
- The agricultural experience must take place after graduating from high school and prior to being accepted into the credential program.
- The experience could be in one area or multiple areas in agriculture.
- The experience could be paid or non-paid, but must be documented, meeting the minimum of 2000 hours.
How are hours documented?
- Pay stubs
- Signed work experience from past employer
- Notarized document of work experience
Student Teaching Sites
Student teaching sites are carefully selected by evaluating the needs student teacher and the expertise of the cooperating teacher to assure a positive mentoring relationship develops. The UC Davis Agricultural Education teacher supervisor also works closely with the California Department of Education, Adult and Leadership Division to determine the suitably of student teaching sites and cooperating teachers.
The UC Davis uses the following High Schools and cooperating teachers to host student teachers:
- Delta High School, Clarksburg: Shanon Spears & Charles VanRiper
- Dixon High School: John Ramos & Marcus Tanaka
- East Nicolaus High School: Laurie Goss
- Elk Grove High School: Mike Albaini, Matt Patton, Matthew Rooney, Amy Erman & Shannon Welch
- Esparto High School: Charlie Abee & Amber Charter
- Pierce High School, Arbuckle: George Green & Cindy Rhode
- Pioneer High School, Pioneer: Jenni Pareas, Mary Parks, Daniel Barrett, & Luke VanLaningham
- Winters High School: Donnie Whitworth & Kayla Roberts
- Woodland High School: Jerry Delsol, Eric Dyer, & Bree Perry-Stroops
Forms for Student Teachers/Resident Teachers
End of quarter evaluation forms – Classroom teaching (filled out by student teacher, resident teacher, and teacher supervisor)
Ag-Ed Open Positions
Agricultural education open positions may be found in two locations:
When logging on to EDJOIN, use the keyword “ag” to assure to get all the agricultural positions available.
After locating a position on California Agricultural Teaching Opportunities if you are interested you should:
- Contact the agriculture teacher to find out what the position
- Course load
- FFA responsibilities
- SAE responsibilities
- Department responsibilities
- If still interested, set up a date and time to visit the program
- Write a thank you letter or email
It is important that as you are preparing to look of a position that you have an up-to-date resume and your portfolio is complete. It is recommended that you take a portfolio with you to your interview and that you make a “mini portfolio” or “electronic portfolio” to leave at the interview or website that may access once you leave by interested parties.