Applicants are urged to familiarize themselves with the general requirements and admission deadlines by reviewing our website and attending one of our Information Sessions.
If you would like to be considered for an Application Fee Fellowship, do not pay the application fee. See below for details.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
- An earned baccalaureate and master’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Minimum GPA for admission to the University of California (see below)
- Experience in leadership roles in an educational institution or related area
- Substantial professional work experience
Minimum GPA for admission to the University of California:
- GPA in all coursework taken in a completed master’s program is at least a 3.5 or GPA for all undergraduate work coursework is at least a 3.0 or
- GPA for all upper division undergraduate coursework is at least a 3.0 or
- GPA for all upper division coursework taken during the last two as an undergraduate is at least a 3.0
Estimated Tuition and Fees
The CANDEL program follows the UC Davis graduate fee schedule. Visit the UC Davis Finance and Business Office page for the 2022-23 CANDEL tuition and fees.
Because fees are subject to gubernatorial, legislative and Regental action, fees may change without notice.
Fee Fellowship to Cover Cost of Application Fee
California residents may request a Fee Fellowship to cover the $135 graduate application fee.
If you are requesting an Application Fee Fellowship, do not pay the application fee, as we are unable to make reimbursements.
Funding for this fellowship is limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
We encourage all applicants to apply for financial assistance. To learn about types of financial aid available and start your financial aid process, including the FAFSA, visit the UC Davis Financial Aid and Scholarships page.
Multiple forms of financial assistance may be available, including loans, grants and University of California designated program funds. The specific type and combination of these resources is based upon each student’s level of financial need. The CANDEL program works with the UC Davis Financial Aid Office to help determine this level of need and identify available resources to assist students. The amounts and types of assistance available vary by program, year and the number of applicants with identified financial need.
Additional sources of financial aid include:
CANDEL Specific Program Financial Aid Funds
Part of the professional fees paid by CANDEL students go directly back to students in the form of financial aid program grants. The CANDEL program receives a percentage of the professional fee which is to be used specifically for students who are eligible for need-based financial aid and have a FAFSA on file. Most of the students who have a financial need as identified on their FAFSA receive CANDEL program grant funds to offset their tuition costs. The amount of the grant awards are subject to change each year.
UC Employee Tuition Discount
The CANDEL program participates in the University of California career staff tuition reduction program. Reduced fees are available to UC career employees and certain UC retirees who are qualified for admission to the university. Accepted students must file a petition the Employee-Student Reduced Fee Authorization Form with the Office of the University Registrar in 12 Mrak Hall for the reduction of fees.
Each year the CANDEL program receives funds to help graduate students with financial need offset their program fees. These funds are professional program specific and may have an impact on loan eligibility, amounts or payments.
The Elements of a Complete Application Package
There are five items needed for a complete application package to the CANDEL program. All items must be included in order for your application to be considered “complete” and eligible for review.
- A completed online application and application fee. [Please note that if you are going to request the Application Fee Fellowship, do not pay the application fee. Email email@example.com for information.] This will be the only application to complete. When you first go to the application online, you will be asked to create an account so that you can save your information as you go along, and sign-out and log back in at your convenience.
Tip: Hang on to your login and password! Once an application decision has been made it will appear in your account.
- Three letters of recommendation. Within the online application, you will be asked to provide email addresses for three people to upload their letters of recommendation. Your recommenders will receive an email message from UC Davis with instructions on how to upload their letters.
Tip: We strongly recommend contacting your recommenders prior to submitting their email addresses to avoid the email notification going into spam filters, firewalls, etc.
- Resume. This can be copied and pasted into the online application once you have reached this portion of the application.
- Unofficial transcripts of all colleges and universities attended. Find detailed instructions here. Please do not mail transcripts to CANDEL; we cannot accept them.
Emailed Employer Support Statement
- Statement of Employer Support. A short statement written by your employer on department letterhead clearly stating their support of your participation in CANDEL and acknowledging your absence every third Friday for the duration of the program. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Steps After Your Application
- Once the application deadline has passed, the Admissions Committee will review the applications and determine which applicants will go on to the interview phase. It can take up to four weeks before applicants are notified about the interview.
- After the interviews have taken place, the Admissions Committee will meet again and make their final decision. This may take another three weeks before official word from the CANDEL Director and UC Davis Graduate Studies is sent to applicants.
- Your official decision letter will appear in your online application account.
Please feel free to email the CANDEL program office if you have any questions about the application process at email@example.com. Or if you have a specific question regarding your application, you may contact the CANDEL Associate Director Rosaisela Rodriguez at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 754-6664.