Early Literacy; English Learners; Bilingualism and Bilingual Education; Educational Television and Multimedia; Language Acquisition; Literacy development; Quantitative methods; Sociolinguistics and psycholinguistics.
- Ed.D., Human Development and Psychology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.
- M.S., Applied Linguistics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC.
- B.A. English Literature, University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo, Japan.
Chernoff, J.J., Keuter, S., Uchikoshi, Y., Quick, H., & Manship, K. (2021). Challenges in Assessing California’s Diverse Dual Language Learners. American Institute for Research. https://californiadllstudy.org/sites/default/files/2021-02/Challenges%20in%20Assessing%20California%E2%80%99s%20Diverse%20DLLs.pdf
Mauer, E., Zhou, Q., & Uchikoshi, Y. (2021). A Longitudinal Study on Bidirectional Relations between Executive Functions and English Word-Level Reading in Chinese American Children in Immigrant Families, Learning and Individual Differences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2021.101976
Larson, A., Zhe, A., Wood C., Uchikoshi, Y., Cycyk, L., Hammer, C.S. Escobar, Ky., Roberts, K. (2020). Social validity in early language interventions for dual language learners: A systematic review of the literature. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education, 40(1). https://doi.org/10.1177/0271121419901289
Haft, S.L., Caballero, J.N., Tanaka, H., Zekelman, L., Cutting, L.E., Uchikoshi, Y., & Hoeft, F. (2019). Direct and indirect contributions of executive function to word decoding and reading comprehension in kindergarten. Learning and Individual Differences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2019.101783
Marks, R.A., Kovelman, I., Kepinska, O., Oliver, M., Xia, Z., Haft, S.L., Zekelman, L., Duong, P., Uchikoshi, Y., Hancock, R., & Hoeft, F. (2019). Spoken language proficiency predicts print-speech convergence in beginning readers. NeuroImage. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2019.116021
Chung, S., Zhou, Q., & Uchikoshi, Y. (2019). Parent-Child Language Proficiency and Parenting Styles among Mexican American and Chinese American Families with Young Dual Language Learners. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology.
- Larson, A.L., Cycyk, L.M., Carta, J., Hammer, C.S., Baralt, M., Uchikoshi, Y., An, Z.G., & Wood, C. (2019). A systematic review of language-focused interventions for culturally and linguistically diverse children. Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2019). Phonological awareness trajectories: Young Spanish-English and Cantonese-English bilinguals. Language Learning.
- Conger, D., Gibbs, C., Uchikoshi, Y., & Winsler A. (2019). New benefits of public school pre-kindergarten programs: Early school stability, reduced retention, and early exit from ELL services. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 48(3), 26-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2018.10.015
- Uchikoshi, Y. & Marinova-Todd, S.H. (2019). The effect of dual language proficiency on literacy development in emergent bilinguals in the U.S. and Canada. In Uccelli, P., Rowe, M., Lieven, E., & Gover, V. Learning through Language: Towards an Educationally Informed Theory of Language Learning. Cambridge University Press
- Lucero, A. & Uchikoshi, Y. (2019). Narrative Assessment with 1st Grade Spanish-English Emergent Bilinguals: Spontaneous versus Retell Conditions. Narrative Inquiry, 29(1), 137-156.
- Chen, S., Uchikoshi, Y., & Zhou, Q. (2018). Heritage Language Socialization in Chinese American Immigrant Families: Prospective Links to Children’s Heritage Language Proficiency. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism.
- Williams, A.I., Uchikoshi, Y., Bunge, S.A., Zhou, Q. (2018). Relations of English and heritage language proficiency to response inhibition and attention shifting in dual language learners in Head Start. Early Education and Development
- Yang, L., Leung, R., Tong., R., Uchikoshi, Y. (2018). Student attitudes and Cantonese proficiency in a Cantonese dual-immersion school. Foreign Language Annals. https://rdcu.be/4woX
- Leung, G., Tong., R., Uchikoshi, Y. (2018). “Learning Cantonese will help us”: Elementary school students’ perceptions of dual language education. Bilingual Research Journal.
- Uchikoshi, Y., Yang, L, & Liu, S. (2017). Role of narrative skills on reading comprehension: Spanish-English and Cantonese-English Dual Language Learners. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal. http://rdcu.be/xZfh
- Uchikoshi, Y., Yang, L., Lohr, B., & Leung, G. (2016). Role of oral proficiency on reading comprehension: Within-language and cross-language relationships. Literacy Research: Theory, Method, and Practice.
- Kuo, L-J, Uchikoshi, Y., Kim, T-J., & Yang, X. (2016). The effect of bilingualism on phonological awareness: Re-examining theories of cross-language transfer and structural phonological awareness: Re-examining theories of cross-language transfer and structural sensitivity. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 46, 1-9.
- Chen, S.H., Zhou, Q., Uchikoshi, Y., Bunge, S. (2014). Variations on the bilingual advantage? Links of Chinese and English proficiency to Chinese American children’s self-regulation. Frontiers in Psychology, 5: 1069. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01069
- Hammer, C. S., Hoff, E., Uchikoshi, Y., Gillanders, C., Castro, D. C., & Sandilos, L.E. (2014). The language and literacy development of young dual language learners: a critical review. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 29, 715-733. doi: 10.1016/j.ecresq.2014.05.008
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2014). Development of vocabulary in Spanish-speaking and Cantonese-speaking English Language Learners. Applied Psycholinguistics, 35 (1), 119-153.
- Sandhofer, C. & Uchikoshi, Y. (2013). Cognitive consequences of dual language learning: Cognitive function, language and literacy, science and mathematics, and socio-emotional development. In Governor’s State Advisory Council on Early Learning and Care. California’s Best Practices for Young Dual Language Learners: Research Overview Papers. Sacramento: CDE Press.
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2013). Predictors of English reading comprehension: Cantonese-speaking English language learners in the U.S. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 26(6), 913-939.
- Leung, G. & Uchikoshi, Y. (2012). Relationships among language ideologies, family language policies, and children’s language achievement: A look at Cantonese-English bilinguals in the U.S. Bilingual Research Journal.
- Uchikoshi, Y. & Marinova-Todd, S. (2012). Vocabulary and early literacy skills of Cantonese-speaking English language learners in the U.S. and Canada. Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 25(9), 2107-2129.
- Hammer, C., Jia, G., & Uchikoshi, Y. (2011). Language and literacy development of bilingual preschoolers growing up in the United States: A call for research. Child Development Perspectives, 5(1), 4-9.
- Uchikoshi, Y. & Maniates, H. (2010). How does bilingual instruction enhance English achievement?: A mixed-methods study of Cantonese-speaking and Spanish-speaking bilingual classrooms. Bilingual Research Journal, 33(3), 1-22.
- Marinova-Todd, S. & Uchikoshi, Y. (2010). The role of L1 on the oral language development in English: The case of Chinese and Spanish. In A.Y. Durgunoglu & C.Goldenberg (Eds.). Language and Literacy Development in Bilingual Settings. NY: Guilford.
- Reyes, I. & Uchikoshi, Y. (2009). Emergent literacy in immigrant children: Home and school environment interface. In E. Grigorenko and R.Takanishi (Eds.). Immigration, Diversity, and Education. Routledge: Taylor and Francis Group.
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2008). Effects of television on language and literacy development. In A.G. Bus & S.B. Neuman (Eds.). Multimedia and Literacy Development: Improving Achievement for Young Learners. Oxford: Taylor & Francis.
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2006). English vocabulary development in bilingual kindergartners: What are the best predictors? Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 9(1), 33-49
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2006). Early reading development in bilingual kindergarteners: Can educational television help? Scientific Studies of Reading, 10 (1), 89-120.
- Uchikoshi, Y. (2005). Narrative development in bilingual kindergarteners: Can Arthur help? Developmental Psychology, 41 (3), 464-78. (This study met the What Works Clearinghouse (WWC) evidence standards, resulting in a WWC review)
Awards and Honors
- Foundation of Child Development Young Scholars Program, Grant recipient.
- International Reading Association Outstanding Dissertation of the Year Finalist. 2005.
- International Reading Association Jeanne S. Chall Dissertation Fellowship. 2002.
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Action for Children’s Television Fellowship. 2002.
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Advanced Doctoral Grant. 2001.
- Itochu Foundation Fellowship. 1997-1998.
- Harvard Graduate School of Education Entering Award. 1997.
Current Activities and Service
- Associate Editor, Applied Psycholinguistics.
- Editorial Review Board Member, Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools.
- Member, Bridging the Word Gap National Research Network. Work Group 5 (Interventions for Dual Language Learners) Member.
- Member, Technical Advisory Group (TAG) for First 5 California Dual Language Learner Study
- Member. Advisory Board. PBS Ready to Learn Literacy Project.
Courses Taught at UC Davis
- EDU173/LIN173 Language Development
- EDU100 Introduction to Schools
- EDU122 Children, Learning, and Material Culture
- EDU206B Inquiry into Classroom Practice: Intervention and Data Collection
- EDU206C Inquiry into Classroom Practice: Data Analysis, Interpretation, and Reporting
- EDU206D Inquiry into Classroom Practice: Analysis
- EDU242 Research on Text Comprehension
- EDU245 Theory and Research in Early Literacy
- FRS004-005 Television and the Developing Child
- EDU065ABC Foundations for University Success: International Students
NIH/NICHD. “Bilingual and Socio-Emotional Development in Dual Language Learners” (R01HD091154). 2017-2022.
Yolo Community Foundation Buck Education Grant. “Harnessing Parental Engagement to Reduce Summer Reading Loss among English Learners.” 2018.
NIH/NICHD. “Understanding Literacy Acquisition through Immersion in Foreign Languages” (R01HD078351). 2015-2020.
Language Learning. “Cantonese-English Dual Language Immersion study.” 2015-2016.
Foundation for Child Development, “The Cumulative Effect of Primary School Experience on English Language Learners.” 2008-2011.
Foundation for Child Development Young Scholars Program. “Early Literacy Study of Immigrant Children.” 2005-2008.