Frequently Asked Questions about the PhD Program


Find answers to questions about GRE codes, application fees, financial aid and more.

When is the annual application deadline for Fall admission?

The application deadline is Dec 15th

How much is the application fee

Please visit our Graduate Studies website for information on the cost of applicant fees and information.


Do you accept applications for admission in the winter or spring quarters?


The Graduate School of Education/Graduate Group in Education accepts applications only for the fall quarter.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Students in the Ph.D. program typically complete the program in 4 to 6 years. Students must take approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years of course work followed by preparing for and passing the qualifying examination, and researching and writing the dissertation.

What does the program cost?

For current full-time graduate student fees, please refer to the official UC Davis fee schedule.

What prerequisite courses are required for admission?

The Education M.A and Ph.D. program has no specific prerequisite majors. However, a prior program of study that provides a logical foundation for your chosen emphasis area is necessary. And, for Science Education or Math Education a background in the subject area is required.

Is the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test required?

NO – we do not require the GRE Test.

What is the minimum GPA requirement?

The UC Davis Office of Graduate Studies requires students to have a minimum GPA of 3.0. If the School of Education/Graduate Group in Education wishes to admit an applicant with a lower GPA, we must ask for an exception to policy by the Dean of Graduate Studies.

Is a personal interview required?


What does the Admissions Committee look for in an applicant?

The Admissions Committee considers the following factors: GPA, appropriate foundation coursework, fit with the program relative to current faculty interests, perceived ability of the applicant to do scholarly research and writing as gleaned from the statement of purpose, writing samples and letters of recommendation. The goal of the M.A./Ph.D. programs is to produce scholars who will be able to do outstanding independent research and teaching.

Can I transfer units taken at another school to the School of Education/Graduate Group in Education to count toward my M.A. or Ph.D.?

Transferring units toward your UC Davis School of Education/Graduate Group in Education M.A. or Ph.D varies from case to case. The Education program advisor examines each case on an individual basis and will not consider the transferability of courses until after an applicant has been admitted into the program.

A maximum of 12 quarter units from a University of California campus or six quarter units from another university can be applied toward the fulfillment of degree requirements. Each course must be at a graduate school level. A course cannot have been used to satisfy a previous degree requirement. The final decision is made by the graduate program advisor

Can I take individual classes without being admitted to the full program?

Yes, you may take classes through University Extension’s concurrent enrollment program. Up to 12 units of this coursework taken prior to admission may be counted toward the M.A. or Ph.D. program, with the approval of the graduate advisor

Where are classes taught?

Most classes are taught in the School of Education classrooms in Academic Surge.

When are classes taught?

Graduate courses may be taught at any time during the week. Graduate classes are not taught during the summer.  Please visit our Course Schedules website for information on Education courses.

Can I work full-time and earn my M.A. or Ph.D. degree?

Many of our Education graduate students are employed outside the program. However, most find it difficult to work full-time throughout their program. It is important to provide yourself enough time for adequate scholarly inquiry and School of Education/Graduate Group in Education collegiality. Further, some flexibility in work schedule is necessary in order to participate in full-time course work required for the Ph.D. program.

Is financial support available?

Yes, financial aid is available in the form of internal and external fellowships, teaching assistantships, research assistantships, Federal workstudy, fee and tuition scholarships, and grants and loans. Learn more here.

Log in